Wednesday 6 May 2009

Anyone up for a Margarita? It is Cinco de Mayo!

Today is Cinco de Mayo, which is a Mexican holiday that celebrates the victory of Mexican peasants over the French in 1862. Cinco de Mayo is actually more celebrated in the United States than it is in Mexico and these days it is often taken as another excuse to gather with friends to drink Margaritas and eat guacamole with chips. Since I love Mexican food and simply adore Margarita's I thought I would dedicate this post to where to find Mexican food here in Hong Kong. Below are some restaurants that you can go to when you are craving a little taste of Mexico!
  • Agave (33 D'Aguilar Street, LKF)
  • Izote (55 D'Aguilar Street, LKF)
  • Coyote Bar and Grill (114-120 Lockhart Road, Wanchai)
  • Caramba (26-30 Elgin Street, Soho)
  • El Taco Loco (9 Staunton Street, Soho
  • Tequila (11 Old Bailey Street, Soho)
This year instead of going out to eat for Cinco de Mayo, I am going to plan a Mexican themed dinner at home. I am trying to take a healthier approach to dinner tonight so here are some tips that I plan to use to help make a yummy but healthy Mexican feast!
  • Skip the refined tortilla shells and use whole-wheat tortillas instead. Better yet, I may go the low carb route and use lettuce to make lettuce wraps
  • Use chicken instead of beef in my tacos
  • Substitute whole black or pinto beans for refried beans
  • I love the word moderation so even though I am trying to keep it healthy I still need to have my cheese and guacamole, so for me moderation is the key with these two!
  • Finally, I am going to make a Skinnygirl Margarita, which is the signature drink of Bethenny from the Real Housewives of NYC. Check out her website for the recipe!
Whether you decide to stay in or go out I wish you a happy Cinco de Mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you - please leave us a comment!